eltouletoelv This is an attempt to compare the two proposed venues in a way, easier to read as the two long reports at Edinburgh and Sarajevo. It's intended just as a quick comparision; you may still want to read the more detailed reports from the local teams.
Tolimar started this camparison trying to be as objective as he could.
Checklist to be filled by any prospective local teams that would like to host Debconf
(the fontsize indicates the different priorites high, medium and low.)
Since this page is mainly for the decision makers, members of local teams are asked to NOT change this page themself. You are of course welcome to point to mistakes / request changes.
A more or less detailed comparision between the estimated (!) costs is avalable at DebConf7/VenueComparisonPrices.
 Local team
- Please name the main local team and describe their commitement (i.e. connection, work they have done before, how
long...) in organizing events and working in Free Software projects. Are they perhaps even know inside Debian?
EDI: Most of the EDI people are well know inside Debian and left traces in other Free Software projects. Some have experience organizing conferences, too.
SJJ: The SJJ people are mostly unknown inside Debian. Googling arround shows, that some have been active in translating differente kinds of (free) software to their language; some of them have been active organizing other events and conferences.
- Of these people, which have been present at a previous Debconfs and who have participated as
organizers and/or volunteers (the line might be quite blurry at times) of a previous Debconf?
SJJ: Safir Secerovic has been a volunteer for DC5.
 Choice of city / town / whatever
- Are you suggesting a city, a town, a village, a spa in the middle of nowhere?
Both proposed cities are larger cities.
EDI: The proposed venues are in EDIs downtown very central.
SJJ: the proposed a venue a bit farer away from cities central (15-20 Minutes by tram), but near to their airport.
- How easy/convenient is the proposed place to get all strange and regular kinds of hardware?
- Electronic/electricity shops
- Computer stores (A "media markt" like enduser oriented store doesn't count)
- Supermarkets, etc.
Being in downtown EDI the venue proposed there seems to be in advantage for regarding that point.
- How easy is to handicapped people move there?
Ganneff might need to correct me here:
SJJ: Not all sidewalks had ramps, most trams and buses are not fit for wheelchaired people and special taxis exist, but need to be called (and are more expensive than normal ones); the hotel offered us their minibus (capacity: 10 people in wheelchairs); cab won't be needed
EDI: seems to be more able to handle handicapped / wheelchaired people: Nearly all sidewalks have ramps; many buses seem to have deployable ramps for wheelchaired people to enter; licensed Taxis (the official ones) are required to be able to take wheelchairs.
- Which is the nearest airport?
Both EDI and SJJ have own international airports; additionally there are two other airports quite near to EDI (namely Glasgow and Glasgow Prestwick; approximatly 1-1.5 hours by train).
- Are there any cheap airlines flying near the chosen city?
It seems to be easier to find a cheap flight to EDI, than to SJJ, especially regarding low fare airlines.
- How long does the trip from the airport to the venue take?
EDI: The airport is connected by a busline to the city; it takes about 15-25 minutes by bus and 5-10 minutes by foot to reach the venue.
SJJ: The hotel proposed is very near to the airport; I think it would take less than 15 minutes by taxi; public transport from the airport in SJJ to the venue doesn't exist right now (but is in planing).
- How friendly is your country towards foreigners?
- Visas: Which/how many countries' citizens require getting a visa? How hard (bureaucratic, probable) is it to
Most europeans won't need a visa for both countries; some others (like latin american and asian countries) need one. Less people would need one to get to the UK and it seems to be easier to get a visa for the UK.
According to the SJJ team (who spoke with the high ranking official in their foreign ministry responsible for visas), it won't be a problem to hand out visas at the airport (instead of a local embassy). They are checking, if it would be possible, to the send attendes, who would need to pick up their visa, an official document, telling them, that everything will be fine.
- Are there any import regulations, which might affect DebConf? (e.g. a limit to number of notebooks / DVDs /
other media you can bring in; hard regulations for money transfers; etc.)
There seems to be just the usual regulations (no arms, drugs, etc.) for both countries. So far we don't know of anything similar to Mexico for both countries.
- Language: Do most people talk English? How hard is it for a foreigner to find their way around?
SJJ: Most people speak English (and nearly everyone below 25)
EDI: All people speak English.
 Conference Facilities
- How much does it cost to rent these facilities?
EDI: Depends (TODO: Fill in, as soon as EDI decided for one venue)
SJJ: conference facilites would be included in the rent for the hotel rooms (which are about 30 Euro per person per night)
- How far away are the locations from each other? (auditoriums, hacklabs, restaurant, sleeping quarters, info
SJJ: Nearly everything under one roof; not everyone would be able to sleep at the hotel, but most
EDI: sleeping quarters will be seperate (and split); the rest of the conference will be in the same building
- What kind of audio equipment is already present at the auditoriums?
- Wireless or stationary mics?
- clip-on kind of mics or cary in your hand mics?
- How many of them?
We don't know exact details about audio equipment in any of the proposed venues.
- Will the hacklabs be allowed to stay open 24x7? What time schedule do they offer?
EDI: Most likely not 24x7. (TODO: Fill in, as soon as EDI decided on one venue); seems to be just a money question?
SJJ: 24x7 would be possible.
- What kind of security will be there?
- Are there any limitations regarding the consumptions of food / alcohol? Where do what limitations apply?
SJJ: Just the usual "no people under 18" rule (for sales in stores and consumtion in public)
- How far is it to the nearest convenience stores / all-night restaurants?
EDI: Being in downtown EDI means being sourounded by a lot of restaurants and stores of all kind.
SJJ: Just a 5-6 minutes walk.
- How much are the meals per person per day?
SJJ: Food is included in the 30 Euro /person/day.
EDI: (One ofer for about 2-2.5 Pound)
- Is the eating place near the talks place / the hacklabs?
Yes, for both cities.
- What kind of food would be served?
EDI: (If we take the ofer mentioned above: indian food?)
SJJ: Food served would be a traditional Bosnian cuisine.
- In what fashion? (service to the table, limited buffet, open buffet, etc.)
SJJ: Self service.
EDI: Most probaly self service?
- Would food for vegetarians / vegan / lactose-alergic / religious (of any denomination) people be available?
Yes, for both cities.
- How much meals do we need to order to get those kind of "special" meals?
SJJ: One (I guess, since the kitchen is used to cook special diat for their patients)
- Will it cost extra to get those special meals?
- In a two week period, how many more or less equal meals can we expect?
 Network connectivity
- Is the area already wired with regular network infrastructure? (much preferrably: 100Mbps or 1Gbps switched)
SJJ: Not yet (the hotel has it's own DSL connection we could power up and according to the hotel manager will have 100Mbps switched network in the rooms next year)
EDI: Depends on venue (TODO: fill up)
- How much does it cost and how difficult is it to get a big internet connection? (10/20 Mbits at least)
In both cities local ISPs have volunteered to sponsor DebConf regarding this.
- How much work does it imply to cover the area with wireless links?
- Would it be possible to set up the network before Debcamp? (a day or two, earlier would be nicer, in order
to handle problems gracefully. Additional weeks for wireless.)
 Special rooms
Both for server and video rooms:
- General conditions for the rooms
- Have they/do they need air conditioning?
- What electrical load can they handle?
SJJ: Short summary: Rooms exist, have AC and electrical installation was renewed after the war and should be okay
- How much does it cost per person per night?
SJJ: 30 Euro (including food and conference facilities)
- Is the place where people are going to sleep near the conference facilities?
EDI: 5-10 Minute walk.
SJJ: Same building.
- Is it able to handle a varying number from 20 to 400 of people?
Both cities: Yes.
- Is it able to handle non-native speaking people? (i.e. do the people at the sleeping facilities speak English?)
SJJ: English won't be a problem; German, Russian and French might be possible, too.
EDI: English won't be a problem.
- Will there be a need of a "Debconf" info-desk, or would the local (hotel or such) people be able to handle that
themselves? (See InfoDesk for details on duties)
EDI: We will need to run our own "Debcon" info-desk.
SJJ: We could use parts of the Hotels reception; we might need / want to have our own information, too.
- Will it be possible for couples to stay in their own rooms?
- How many room keys would be available?
- Are there other hotels around?
EDI: Yes, a lot.
SJJ: Yes, some, but not needed, since we would be in a hotel.
- Are there rooms ready for handicapped people? How many?
SJJ: The Hotel is a spa clinic designed for handicapped people; don't know exact numbers.
EDI: Don't know yet; we might need to put handicapped people in a sepperate hotel.