The daytrip will be on Wednesday, 6 July. Cape Town has so much to offer, from cultural and scenic tours, safaris and animal viewing, and of course a plethora of wine farms and breweries.
In order sign up for one of the day trips, go to DebConf16/DayTrip/Signup.
Springbok Atlas Coach are the most reasonable transport, with a bus with 60 available seats for most day trip options with an estimate fee of ZAR 75.00 per person. They will stop at all our destinations and work on an 8 hour day, and we can hire out the bus/s for the whole day. For the free trips, spots might be limited to 40 people. Please be at the bus 15 minutes in advance.
 Top options
|What||max. # of pers.||Cost||Bus Leaving||More|
|Robben Island (Prison and Penguins) + V&A Waterfront|
|Visit to Robben Island and the V&A Waterfront. Details and sign-up||We would need to know the numbers in advance||300 ZAR (adults)||TBD|
|Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens|
|Visit Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens with optional free hikes up Table Mountain||TBD||55 ZAR (adults), 15 ZAR children||TBD|
|Cape Point Nature Reserve and Boulders Beach|
|See penguins, baboons, ostriches and antelopes. Maybe stop at Simons Town Harbour||TBD||125 ZAR adults, 65 ZAR Children||9h00, 11h00 and 13h00||Walk up to the lighthouse or Cable Car|
|Table Mountain Hiking and Cable Car|
|A trip up and down table mountain via the cable car, following by a trip to Seal Island in Hout Bay, via Chapman's Peak drive. Details and sign-up||45||240 ZAR||10h00 to 18h00||Seal Island option|
|Fairy Glenn Safari|
|Fairy Glenn is a game reserve that offers an unique opportunity to see Lions, Rhino, Buffalo, Elephants and Leopards up close.||60||R 1150||7am||Fairy Glenn Homepage|
|See below for more details!|
 Cultural and scenic tours
 South Peninsula tour
An hour cruise to see the Cape Fur Seals at Duiker Island and then continue below the Kabonkel-berg mountain range to Moari Bay notoriously known for its shipwrecks. There you will be able to view the remains of the wreck of the Bos400 which ran a ground in a Cape winter storm in 1994.
- Departure times are: 8h30, 9h15, 10h00 and 10h45
- Adults: ZAR 80.00
A nature reserve 60 km south-west of Cape Town, on the tip of the Cape Peninsula where the Indian and Atlantic Ocean meet. It is within the Table Mountain National Park; a declared Natural World Heritage Site, encompassing 7 750 hectares of rich and varied flora and fauna; buck, baboons and Cape Mountain Zebra as well as over 250 species of birds.
- Adults: ZAR 125.00
- Opening times: 7h00 to 17h00
- Adults: ZAR 58
A beautiful beach in Simon's Town, home to a breeding colony of over 2000 endangered African Penguins. Walk/swim with penguins. Famous for its colony of African penguins.
- ZAR 10.00, goes toward SANCOB
If you are interested in ships and submarines, their weapons, their equipment, the people who serve, and served in them.
- Opening times: 9h30 to 15h30
- Submarine Tour: ZAR 40.00
 Mountain, Land and Sea Tour
Hike up, down or around Table Mountain. There is a cable car if the weather permits.
- First car up: 8h30 and last car down: 17h00
- ZAR 240.00 (return) and ZAR 125.00 (one way)
The District Six Museum, established in December 1994, works with the memories of the District Six experience and with forced removals more generally.
- Adults: ZAR 30.00 per person (self-guided visits)
- ZAR 45.00 per person (with an ex-resident/guide)
Take a trip to where Nelson Mandela was held prisoner. Explore the island, the lime stone quarry and learn about the history of the island. The ferries depart from the Nelson Mandela Gateway at the V&A Waterfront. The tour takes 3.5 hours including the ferry trip to and from the Island (Depending on the boat used as they have different travel times).
- Currently the boat runs three times a day: 9h00, 11h00 and 13h00
- Adults: ZAR 300.00
- Adults: ZAR 30.00 (Just the castle)
- ZAR 225.00 (Underground tour)
 City Sightseeing
They offer various tours in and around Cape Town. With large conference groups they can assist in two ways:
Option 1: Pre-paid tickets Pre-paid bus tickets to join regular hop-on and off buses that operate every 20 minutes throughout the day. Delegates then only present the ticket when boarding the bus. We cannot reserve seats on the buses.
- ZAR 170.00 per person for 1 day ticket
Option 2: Private Charter bus They would set aside a bus for the group's exclusive use (maximum 65 people)
- ZAR 5300.00 (4 hours bus charter)
- ZAR 7950 (8 hours bus charter)
 Safaris and Animal Viewing
Aquila is a game reserve that offers an unique opportunity to see Lions, Rhino, Buffalo, Elephants and Leopards up close. They offer additional wildlife and flora game drives. Aquila is under 2 hours drive from the city but the more expensive options.
- 12h00 Welcome drinks at Aquila
- 12h15 Buffet lunch
- 13h30 2-3 hour Game drive
- 16h30 Depart for Cape Town
- 60 seats available
- ZAR 1295.00 per person
- 15h00 Welcome drinks, tea and snacks with 2-3 hour Game drive
- 18h00 Depart for Cape Town
- 50 seats available
- ZAR 995.00 per person
Get to see lions up close, rescued from Zoos and Circuses. You can also see the chimps that were rescued from the Tygerberg Zoo.
- Adult: ZAR 90.00
- Child: ZAR 50.00
An array of animals with daily interactive encounters held at: 11h00, 13h00, 15h00. It gives the visitor the opportunity to meet and hold some interesting creatures.
- Open between 9h00 to 17h00
Visit eagles at Spier hold and interact with them.
- Adult: ZAR 75.00
- Child: ZAR 65.00
4x4 Sand boarding
- ZAR 600 p/p
 Wine farms and Breweries
All these options requires transport from UCT and back again.
The oldest wine farm in South Africa.
- Opening times: 10h00 to 17h00
- Museum entrance fee ZAR 30.00
- ZAR 45.00 Daily tastings of 5 wines
- ZAR 60.00 Includes a cellar tour with your wine tasting experience. Tours depart every hour 10h00 to 16h00
- ZAR 80.00 Chocolate and wine pairing (booking required). Opening times: 9h00 to 18h00
Trip through Franschoek ine valley offering two option, either the Blue/Green Line (more boutique, local wine estates, mountain based) or the Red/Yellow Line (more international wine estates, valley based).
- 25 people per departure. Would need to organize transport to Franschoek from UCT.
- Adults: ZAR 200.00 per person which includes two complimentary tastings. Additional wine tastings range between ZAR 20.00 to 60.00 per person for the tasting of 3 to 6 wines.
Amazing views and great experience.
- ZAR 55.00 - 80.00 (5 wines)
Stellenbosch & Paarl tours of wine farms with cheese tasting, chocolate and wine pairing. With an optional lunch.
- Depart between 9h00-10h00. Visit wine estates in regions around Stellenbosch and Paarl.
- Vineyard walking tour, explaining the process of grape to wine in your glass and the history of wine to present day.
- Explaining wine and food pairings, and chocolate and red wine pairing
- A cellar tour at a world-class estate
- Visit Stellenbosch itself
- Cheese tasting, local cured meats and traditional dried fruit treats
- Lunch served in the wine lands
- Sparkling wine, red wine, white wine, ports and other wine available
- ZAR 750.00 (with lunch)
- ZAR 700.00 (without lunch). Price includes travel from UCT, around the farms and back to UCT.
Located on the crest of Constantia Nek pass, nestled at the foot of Table Mountain
- Open for wine tasting and sales
- Monday to Sunday, from 10h00 to 16h30.
- Wine tastings cost ZAR 50.00 per person
Trip through Elgin Valley. We would need to organize transport from UCT to Botrivier and back. 45 people maximum from 10h00 to 18h00.
- Adults: ZAR 260.00 for transport, plus meals
A great venue with may choices for tastings in a beautiful setting
Wine Tasting Monday to Sunday: 9h00 to 17h00
- ZAR 30.00 to 85.00
Cape Brewing Company - CBC
- Adults: ZAR 30.00 to 40.00
Chocolate Tasting Duration: 25 minutes
- Chocolate & Confectionery Tasting: ZAR 20.00
- Single Origin Chocolate Experience: ZAR 30.00
(Bookings required for groups of 10 or more)
- Chocolate Truffle Workshop: ZAR 125
Duration: 60 minutes (Bookings required)
Grappa Tasting Monday to Sunday: 10h00 to 18h00
- Standard Grappa Tasting: ZAR 30.00 per person
- Master Grappa Tasting: ZAR 50.00 per person