Agenda: informal discussion of dc8 venues.
The meeting started with a delay while the .ve people showed up. After a while (20 minutes) a start was made.
Marga pointed people to the .ar team's photos at https://gallery.debconf.org/dc8-argentina . Marga said that they were thinking of Mar del Plata as the main venue and Mendoza as a backup.
- Marga said that, based on the visit, there weren't enough 3 and 4 person rooms to hold 300 people, which meant using 2 person rooms and raising the price to 16USD a person a night. This includes breakfast. A good point, however, is that the network team can do anything they want.
- Food: service to table, veggie food provided, waiter for every 20 people, 13USD for lunch and dinner.
- network: four ADSL lines, 512kb/s links. Can do what we want.
- hacklabs, speaking: conference rooms next to hacklab. soundproofed. external company to do AV stuff.
- Transport: "the car trip is around ~4h, by bus should by ~5, train I think is something like 6h" this stuff is in the wiki.
- backed by: "Via Libre", an NGO, http://www.vialibre.org.ar/
- local sponsorship: small companies. nothing large.
- sponsorship: State oil company, do accom under 30USD. Also talking to a bank. debian-ve an actual NGO.
- network: 4 ADSL links, 1024/512 each. satalitte, 2Mbs. Telco being nationalized, which may help.
- politics: presidental decree to use free software. Other debian events have been sucessful, and helped by the state. thread on debconf-team discussing this.
- accom: hotel, deal with sponsor? five stars, very very nice. without sponsorship, 130USD a night.
- food: catering service.
- more info on https://debconf.org.ve/wiki