From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Announcements for Friday, August 4

DebCamp is already almost over! The Open Day schedule begins tomorrow at 10:00 AM, and will be followed by day 1 of DebConf17 on Sunday. If you haven't gotten all your hacking in yet, now would be a good time to get things done as the next days' schedule will be packed with great talks and activities.


[edit] Swag bags

The swag bags will be handed out starting this afternoon, after lunch at 14:30. The beautiful canvas bags decorated with the DebConf17 logo are filled with exciting swag donated by our generous sponsors. Don't forget to pick yours up!

[edit] Hacklabs

A smokers' hacklab has been set up next to the Bourbonnière entrance. Exiting from the building, it's on your right, behind the concrete column. You'll find picnic tables, power outlets and, most likely, a handful of fellow tobacco-happy hackers.

Level 1 of the Garden is now equipped with a pair of wired switches and a WiFi tree!

[edit] Beer Bar

The Beer Bar opens today at 20:00 and will serve beers from Benelux, a local microbrewery, along with a selection of gluten-free beers and non-alcoholic beverages. Beginning tomorrow, the bar will operate every day in the Garden from 18:00 to 01:00 with exceptions on August 9th (Day Trip, the bar will open at 20:30 instead) and August 10th (Conference Dinner, the bar will operate from the Montreal Tower).

[edit] Public phone booth

A phone booth providing free, unlimited calls worldwide has been set up near the Front Desk. This service is graciously offered to DebConf17 attendees by Dial 00, then the phone number with a country code to place a call.

[edit] Live TV displays

The TVs in the Main Hall have been set up to display important and interesting information about DebConf17 throughout the conference. On the right-hand side you will see Mastodon and Twitter posts tagged with #DebConf17. Are you following the DebConf remotely? Share messages about the conference using the #DebConf17 hashtag and they'll show up on the displays!

[edit] An invitation from Savoir-faire Linux

DebConf17 participants are invited to attend the "Ring on! Mix & Mingle with the Ring Team" cocktail party evening on Tuesday, August 8 from 18:30 to 21:30 at the offices of Savoir-faire Linux located at 7275 Saint Urbain Street, Suite 200 (De Castelnau Metro Station).

"Together, let's celebrate the release of the first stable version of Ring "Ring 1.0 - Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité", a free and universal communication software, and GNU package, supported by the Free Software Foundation."

If you'd like to attend, please register at

[edit] Filming a documentary at DebConf

Alexandre Sheldon is a documentary filmmaker presently producing a project on the Montreal hacker community and on surveillance/privacy issues in Canada. He will be filming on premises on August 11th. In accordance with our Code of Conduct, he will ask people their explicit permission before filming them. Should any problems arise from this arrangement, please contact Front Desk.

[edit] Weather forecast

Today, Friday August 4 A mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of showers. Risk of severe thunderstorms this afternoon. Wind south 20 km/h gusting to 40. High 28. Humidex 36. UV index 9 or very high. Tonight: Mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers or thunderstorms. Wind south 20 km/h gusting to 40. Low 19.

Saturday, August 5 Mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers and risk of a thunderstorm. Wind southwest 20 km/h gusting to 40. High 23. Humidex 28. Night: Showers. Low 13.

Sunday, August 6 Sunny. High 22. Night: Clear. Low 14.

-- The DebConf Team

Personal tools