From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

DebCamp announcements for 2017-08-02


[edit] Front Desk status update

Badge holders have arrived! Please collect your badges at Front Desk this afternoon. Those who haven't received their on-site dorm room key can collect those later today as they become available.

Swag bags will be available later on as some of our sponsors' items are still shipping.

Also, please keep in mind, Front Desk is the working area for the Registration team, so please help us keep the place tidy, keep the noise levels down and don't leave anything lying around there!

[edit] The self-serving food experience

We'd like to apologise those who didn't have enough food or who didn't get food at all on the lunch time yesterday. We hope you had the chance to get some of the extra portions delivered later on. The super catering staff is aware of our dietary needs and has already adjusted the amounts with the numbers we have provided. You might have noticed how generous (and delicious!) was the supper. We're definitely improving! :)

This year we're trying to give people more autonomy and allow you to serve yourselves with the quantities you need to be happy. We are also working hard to not fork different dietary-specific meals from regular meals: let's make food as universal as we can! We count on your cooperation to make this experience work. So, for now, we must ask from everybody the following small things, which can make a big difference:

  • Feel free to try the vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free options, but *go easy* if you don't have such dietary restrictions
  • Wait for the last 30 minutes of the meal time to have seconds (14:00 for lunch and 20:00 for dinner)
  • We expect you to understand that sometimes, we will need to restrict portions

[edit] Coffee and tea station

You may have noticed that we have a coffee station in the lower floor of the internal garden. We intend to provide you 24/7 delicious organic & fair trade coffee, as well many flavours of tea. There will be volunteers doing QA three times a day. But still, we need everybody's help to make it happen! So please, please, do:

  • Keep the table clean by following Pollito's tutorial
  • Label your cup and reuse it as much as possible
  • Refill the coffee and hot water percolators if you feel like *safely* doing so. You can ask tvaz or abdelq on the #debconf IRC channel ( for instructions.

[edit] On-site accommodation

Bathroom lights: The lights in the E-block bathrooms have been restored. Please do not ask the night guards to turn off the corridor lights again, as the bathroom lights share the same circuit. We've added extra the kraft paper to the windows so the corridor lights don't beam into the dorms anymore.

Dorm lights: We apologize to those who had issues again last night and this morning. The venue maintenance staff has done everything to disable the detectors, short of cutting electricity to the whole lights circuit. If the issue still persists in your room, let us know: we'll have the lights shut off permanently in your room and provide you with stand-alone lamps.

Lockers: Besides the designated lockers identified of the venue diagram near Rex, people are free to use the ones located on level 1 near the garden entrance and the accommodation area.

[edit] Networking

A huge thank you to the incredible Infrastructure team for all the work in setting up networking. Special mention goes out to Martin, the friendly venue network administrator, who has been massively helpful. Be sure to let us know of any issue you may encounter going forward, on the #debconf IRC channel (

[edit] Weather forecast

Today, Wednesday August 2nd Mainly sunny. Wind becoming southwest 20 km/h this afternoon. High 31. Humidex 38. UV index 9 or very high Tonight: Partly cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers this evening with risk of a thunderstorm. Low 19.

Thursday, August 3rd A mix of sun and cloud. 40 percent chance of showers in the afternoon with risk of a thunderstorm. High 28. Humidex 35. Night: Cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers. Low 20.

Friday, August 4 Cloudy with 70 percent chance of showers. High 26. Night: Showers. Low 19.

-- The DebConf Team

Personal tools